Power & Water Corporation (PWC) specify backflow as: “The undesirable reverse flow of water from a potentially polluted or contaminated source to the PWC potable water supply system. Backflow may occur under backpressure, back siphonage or a combination of both.”
The two main types of protection are:
Boundary Protection – This protects PWC infrastructure from backflow contamination.
Zone Protection – This carries the same level of protection as the Boundary Protection, however this protects the internal water supply.
Under certain conditions, such as a burst water main or firefighting where a substantial volume of water is drawn from the water main, low pressure may occur within the system. This low pressure may create a reverse flow of water from a customer’s property to the potable water supply system; this is known as backflow or back-siphonage.
Why use Gold Medal Services for your backflow requirements?
- honest advice on whether a backflow device is needed
- acutely aware of the importance of backflow prevention devices
- experienced with new installs, identifying issues with pre-existing devices
- trained backflow device testers with license issued by NT Plumber and Drainers Licensing Board
- annually calibrated testing equipment
- established structured maintenance program to ensure all devices in our care are in safe working
order and are tested annually to prevent contamination to the mains water supply
- minimal disruption to tenants or business’ water supply
- service includes sending boundary backflow tests to Power and Water along with zone
protection tests to owners and body corporate for internal records